Thursday, October 12, 2017

October 12

IRT: ~20 minutes
WNB: Share your thoughts regarding Mr. Finch's announcement about the cancellation of block lunch. Do you agree or disagree with this decision? Why? What can students do to earn back the privilege?

I reminded students about the literary terms test that is tomorrow. I also passed back the "On Nuclear Disarmament" packet.

We resumed our discussion of the Anna Quindlen speech by applying the SOAPSTone strategy.

We read Adlai Stevenson's "Cat Bill Veto," and students worked in groups to analyze it using SOAPSTone. We will pick up this work on Monday.

Today's Board
We had a bit of a "tough love" discussion about our reading habits. I've told students all semester that they always have homework for my class--read their choice book for 20 minutes. I showed them the math for this 6 weeks of in-class reading (28 days x 20 minutes/day = 560 minutes total). More than half of all students have not met the minimum requirement that the equation revealed (560 minutes x.75 pages/minute = 420 pages). On the other hand, about 7 students have surpassed that number, which is awesome! I believe independent reading time holds considerable value, which is why I make time for it in my classes. I hope students will renew their commitment and begin reading more outside of class.